View Single Post
Old 04-07-2024, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
A borescope will save you a lot of grief. Run several new un fired case into the chamber, close the bolt, feed you bore scope through from the muzzle and see how much the neck can grow till it needs trimming. (A base line) Once the case is a thou or two from the end of the "cut" chamber, trim all brass to that length. (trim every firing or two or as needed). This will also help to stop the dreaded carbon ring.
I discovered the "case in the chamber and scope down the muzzle " thing a few years back when working up paper patch loads for my 40/65 Sharps, a bit by accident , actually!
Frustrated with getting paper jammed and having to clean the chamber with every shot, on castboolits forum I was told you only want no more than .002 clearance to the end of the chamber from the case mouth , and I couldn't find a case that seemed long enough to jam.

Once I stuck the scope down the muzzle to check, I was quite surprised at just how long the chamber was!
I run my cases as long as I can on everything now and disregard the .010 trim recommendation that is the norm in manuals......

Cat