View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 04:39 PM

Short brass can take 2-3 shots to reach it's final length is what I've found. I've been neck sizing the first couple of shots on new brass just to make sure, then I set the bump on the FLS die on the third sizing by the longest ones. Trim length seems to be somewhat negligible til after the second shot usually, then I'll sometimes find a few that are actually close to needing trimming, and will usually trim the works. Doesn't seem to be uncommon to find new brass that is .015-.020 short of max trim nowadays though, even after second shot.
Buying a set of case gauges like the Hornady ones is getting pricier, but, so is the brass. See a lot of first timers that have troubles that can be solved with a set of those gauges PDQ too, would save them a lot of angst, especially the ones buying bulk "once shot" stuff. If you have the dimensions off a new case unfired, an unfired factory ammo round, a fired case, as resized case, a reloaded but unfired round right off the bat, it can solve many mysteries in a big hurry, as to what direction to go, to fix issues.