View Single Post
Old 03-11-2024, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Was up at Calling on Friday afternoon. At 1 PM walked down to the shore to see that the ice heave previously cut through with a chain saw and smashed out with a sledge hammer had not changed in 3 weeks!

Went and did chores, came back on with the sled, and the heave had popped 3 feet!

Went and found a crossing that a neighbour had cut out with a bucket / hoe unit and all was OK.

Ice was very loud, and the way on had blown up by the time I went to cross, again.

Next morning, the crossing had to be smashed down with sledge and pick, but made it across. Coming back again the heave blew up, about 4 feet this time.

Sunday was more of the same, with the group of us having to go down the lake about a mile to find a crossing so we could travel back along shore to get back.

Ben Auger is also impassible due to a 3 ++foot heave with broken ice that blew on Saturday afternoon.

Good Times.

Drewski
Been dealing with this on Lesser Slave too, two weeks ago I nearly lost my truck through the ice while crossing a small crack in the exact spot I've crossed it all year. Turns out it had opened and then re-froze, without changin apearance at all.

My front tires went down and I figured I'd just dropped them into a small crack (crossed that spot two days earlyer), then I fell through... near the back side of the drivers side door. Caught myself going down, but was wet up to my waist. So the bumper was resting on the far side of the crack, with thin ice at least to the rear of the front doors, with about 15' of water straight down... I dont know where the balance point is on a pickup, but at that point I got pretty worried that if I tried to pull it backwards the truck might go nose down.

Long story short I got the pickup out of there using Jack-All's, blocking, and 12' oilfield planks, but by that time I had been working in -20, soaked to the waist for almost 5 hours (very worried that the crack would move, or the wind would kick up real bad, so I didnt feel the cold untill I was done). Spent the next week sick as a dog, but things could have been Much worse.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-11-2024 at 05:56 PM.