View Single Post
Old 03-05-2024, 03:58 PM

Dean you're a good dude, so I say this with respect. Definitely not being belligerent or such.

But it doesn't. The only way to tell would be to make a statistically large enough sample size, one batch "clean", one batch with clingers, hook them up to a robot, and fire them in a 45lbs rifle inside a wind tunnel.

Then measure the both of the cone produced, and compare cone size.

If this wasn't done, then it's just speculation.

I suspect though that there would be no noticeable change in group size, because there hasn't been for me (anecdotal, i agree.) But I shoot hunting rifles from field positions, and I'm no pro.

As the bullet is pressed into the neck, the clingers get pressed down into the powder. The powder then mixes together with the other grains as the reloaded cartridge is put away, and it sorts itself out.

I know this anecdotally, because I've ignored clingers. And later had to pull bullets. The powder that comes out is indistinguishable from each other - no noticeable differences.

It's anecdotal, sure. But no issues for 20 years.

Until someone does a wind tunnel analysis, it's speculation at best. Reloading isn't the witchcraft people make it out to be.

Full disclosure: I've never cleaned a case. Never cleaned a primer pocket. These days it's straight to book max, magazine-length bullet depth, and go fire 10rds groups. Works every time.

Commence AO pearl-clutching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If it is the lube, and the powder is clumping together, then yes, it does make a difference, and no, do not shoot them with contaminated powder. Reloading is a very precise process. You are making things that go bang at 65,000 psi. Getting it wrong can cause very serious consequences, not just damage to gun but to you and bystanders.

If you do not honour that responsibility to be meticulous, then shoot factory ammo.