View Single Post
Old 03-05-2024, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
As said, match has a burn rate very close to Varget, 2 steps slower and one step faster than BLC2 so it will work great in a ton of cartridges. Might be a tad fast for the 280 but Hodgdon does list Varget and BLC2 loads for 120 all the way to 168 grain bullets in the 280 AI. In the lighter bullets, 120 and 130 grain, BLC2 and Varget provide as good velocity as any of the slower powders. Your Stabil Match should be a great powder if you are using Barnes bullets, which a guy tends to use in lighter weights. Max loads are a couple of hundred FPS slower than slower powders with the heavy end of the bullets, but still very usable.

If you call Barnes or Hodgdon, they will likely be able to give you a starting load to work up from. I have found the guys on the phone at Hodgdon great to work with. Same at Barnes.

https://hodgdonreloading.com/rldc/
Thanks Dean, I might give them a shout and see what they say. I would be using Barnes bullets so maybe it worth trying in the .280, or maybe I'll just see what in can do in one of my other rifles. Something to new to try and play around with when I get bored if nothing else...lol