View Single Post
Old 02-28-2024, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britman101 View Post
As for jobs, if this coal mine gets approved this Australian company will run it lean and mean. A lot of the heavy equipment and trucks included will be robotic controlled. There is a company called EACON that already has mining trucks in service with no drivers. Totally controlled by robotics. Can work those trucks 24/7 and pretty much all though out the year excluding downtime for maintenance. Once these big multinational companies are finished turning the mountain into a moonscape it will be off to another country to rape and pillage their resources. When will Canadians ever learn.
Worked as a haul truck trainer/driver when I lived in BC

Now unless the technology has improved in the last 7 years the un man haul trucks do not react properly in mountain mines under winter conditions. This was why the 3 different companies I worked for would not use them. We actually had 3 brought in for testing on the one site and it didn’t go well in the winter

Because I left the industry I no longer keep up to date with this but I know past technology for self driving haul trucks had limitations. They were far more suitable for the conditions you find in the Fort Mac oil sands and I know they still have not replaced manned trucks there even

Definitely a future possibility but doesn’t seem to be common practice in the industry at least here in Canada