View Single Post
Old 02-26-2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
The past is a road most Ford folks avoid but you are right, they all have gremlins. My 2010 Sierra with AFM hasn't given an issue. Still runs great with no excessive oil consumption. The new 5.3 has DFM which is an entirely different beast but so far not many issues reported.

I change my oil often and only run synthetic oil but never say never.
Keeping the oil clean with hydraulic lifters is the source of many of the problems with cylinder deactivation I'm told. The carbon that gets into the oil is very abrasive. The carbon can start eating the tight tolerance parts causing inefficiencies and breakdown or functions in the engine.

One solution might be to run a bypass filter of the centrifugal type. Another solution would be to use a bench type oil cleaner to clean the carbon and other junk out of the oil, and add in additive pack additive to keep oil running longer.

I was looking at this here: https://www.hotshotsecret.com/portab...refining-unit/
and the farm would more than pay for it in one engine oil change cycle if we cycled all the oil for the machinery and vehicles through it once.