View Single Post
Old 02-25-2024, 08:27 PM

Having grown up and lived on the Island, I would recommend that you fish areas that allow you to get used to your boat and get things set up for your first few trips.

-Bamfield would be my first choice - lost of great areas close to town, short runs and can hide from most of the bad weather, plus lots of fish! I used to live here

Ukie (Ucluelet) - for the same reasons as Bamfield, except it is more exposed to the summer afternoon north westerlies.

Gold River/Tahsis - Great place to start to learn your boat and the gear. Lots of places to fish that are protected, lots of fish around and pretty cool country to spend time in.

Port McNeill/Port Hardy - Good fishing close to both towns, lots of options to fish and you can crab fish close to town. I used to live in McNeill

There are other places like Comox, Powel River; would not go to Campbell River as that is a tough area to learn with the strong tides and Port Renfrew as it looks like lots of areas will be closed to save the whales.

The biggest issue you have right now is finding accommodations and moorage as it is getting late to book things. Yes, it can be that busy this early.

Go to here - https://sportfishingbc.com/ - lots of great people here and they can answer specific questions about different areas.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Cheers

SS