Thread: Rapala for pike
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2024, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Not dissagreeing with anything you say, I've been using spinnerbaits for pike since the early 90's with great success. But... a Len Thompson, hook swapped to a single, is very nearly as good in weeds as a spinner bait. It catches about as consistently, casts further, is far more durable, and has a better hookup percentage. Yes you could add a stinger to the spinnerbait, but at that point the LT is actually beating it in the weeds.

There are definitely situations where a spinnerbait will shine but I use spinner baits less than I used to, generally opting for a spoon or inline spinner with a single hook instead... that said, I'd never go pike fishing without bringing a couple.

Fishing from a canoe or kayak especially, I always troll a spinnerbait when padling from spot to spot. They work at any speed, wont twist your line, and generally dont get hung up. The ultimate "toss it out and forget about it" trolling lure. Particularly in dirty water situations, for whatever reason, I pick up a high percentage of my fish this way.
Spinner bait is just another tool that has its time and place. If I really want weedless I go with soft plastics rigged weedless

Too each their own on the LT spoon and I realize they work but like I mentioned earlier I don’t even carry spoons of any sort for pike anymore. I own tons of them in multiple brands, sizes, and every colour you can think of too. For lake trout, trout/char in general, and salmon I use spoons but not for pike. I have even banged out my own spoons in the past

These days my pike box consists of mostly different lipless jerkbaits/gliders, soft plastics, and bucktail/spinnerbaits. 0 spoons 0 crankbaits and outside of some small soft plastics that is what most out there use.

Everyone develops their own fishing style and if it works it works. The funny thing is lure choice is often influenced by the region more than anything. My pike box looks very different than most albertans pike tackle and I often get funny looks over the lures tied on my line but I am catching fish