View Single Post
Old 01-21-2024, 11:18 AM

The one we found the next day was hit good but we both thought he missed but we went back to make sure and he did hit it. We cleaned it and took it to the butcher and the butcher cut into it and said it was spoiled maybe some was good maybe it was all bad. To me if some is rotten then it’s all bad pretty tough to separate spoiled and good. We were reported it to game warden and he appreciated the call nothing happen he said you tried your best and learned a lesson.
Maybe some that recovers their animals the animal spent most of the night alive and died 3 or 4 hours before the next morning. When we did it the temp was around -5 that night.
In my opinion the next morning especially in bow season of animal is shot in evening and found the next morning it’s not worth eating. The Same thing happen to a new hunter that was telling me how they found an elk the next morning and it was not edible. He went through the reporting it but was disappointed cause he thought it would be all right the next day cause of what he saw on hunting shows.
I told him my story and how I thought the same before. These shows that get it the next day I think that is bad teaching. I would put a big effort to find something at night and of course go back and look to see if I could figure out what happen the next day but if I did find I doubt I would be eating it.
From my lesson on loosing an animal i am cautious on hunting warm days and evening I’ll often stop before lash light depending on conditions.