View Single Post
Old 01-20-2024, 04:53 PM

Default Another Coyote Day

This morning it was beautiful compared to the last couple weeks, -18 and only 7 KM wind, my plan was to go to the gun show this morning but I decided to run out and do a couple sets for dogs first and hit the gun show after lunch.

Got to the spot about 9:45, I had been waiting for a SE wind and today that's what we had, there are 3 long rows of bales on the west end of the pasture, I set up against the bales and put the caller out about 60 yards, got everything ready and hit the caller, about 2 minutes of howls and challenges then hit the pup in distress call, 2 minutes and 3 dogs broke from the slough bottom about 400 yards away, 2 big ones and a pup. The 2 big dogs were just poking along but the pup came full bore. I wanted to get them all in closer but the pup wouldn't stop, at least until he took a 52gr hollow point from the 223 at 75 yards.

One dog down and the other 2 high tailed it back into the slough then showed up at 550 yards in the stubble field, I switched back to howls and yipping and they both just stayed there for 15 minutes, moved out a bit farther then started to come back but never closer than 500 yards, a bit of a stretch for the 223, OH how I wish I would have packed my 19 lb 6mm creedmoor in today, those 2 would have been toast.

They finally moved off over the hill and out of sight, I'll be back and packing the long range heat next time. I packed up and made another quick set on the way home, nothing, had a sandwich and hit the gun show for 3 hrs. My grandsons NOJHL game starts in 10 minutes so I got to get off my laptop and get the game hooked up, a win for them tonight and it would be a perfect day.

Another Yote Down.jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.