View Single Post
Old 12-27-2023, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I actually just thought about this potential scam, as I have purchased a gift card off someone and did the same thing, met at the store to verify.
Say the seller copied the info from the card, hands it to you, you verify the funds and then shove it in your wallet for a week or 2. Right after getting your cash, the seller goes into their vehicle and uses the gift card for an online purchase.
Not sure if it's ever happened, but the thought crossed my mind and because of this possibility, I won't buy second hand gift cards anymore. Unless of course I've got a transaction tee'd up.
You point is absolutely valid! So here is what I do to avoid scammers:
Some store will re- issue you a new card if you tell them that you just bought the card from a dude and want to make sure it’s not gonna bite you in the ars. Cabelas doesn’t. So last time I bought a $200 card, I met the dude at the store and had $200 of refundable merchandise in my shopping cart. Paid with the card in front of the dude, gave him $150 we agreed on and returned the stuff right away. That way they had to issue me a new card. Problem solved.
Another time I timed the actual purchase of the item I wanted( it was an expensive winter parka that was on sale for $800). The guy had a card for $600, I paid for the jacket and gave him cash as agreed.
It’s a bit of a haste but you can save a lot of money if you have time and do it right.