View Single Post
Old 12-22-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Mods if this is off topic please just delete.

My son and his friend have just got tags for 2 cow elk and they are very confident that they can fill the tags. What are the odds that the animals they shoot will be positive? Is this terrible disease "under control" by that I mean is it becoming less prevalent? Is there any way to tell before you pull the trigger?

Do we know how to eliminate it from Alberta?

Any actual information from hunters will be very helpful. Thx.
Ok my knowledge is so so on the subject so definitely look into it more than what I post

First location they are hunting plays a role because there is a decent portion of the province without any confirmed CWD cases. So first you might want to see if the area they are hunting is even an area with known CWD

Second it is my understanding elk are less likely to get CWD than deer. Look into this as I could be wrong as I was told this by a few people but have not looked into it

Third there presently no confirmed cure or way to eliminate CWD. The management plan is lower ungulate numbers to slow the spread of CWD but it doesn’t stop it from spreading.

So basically the odds of CWD will depend on the location. CWD is going to be a problem for a long time and will continue to spread regardless of the lowering of ungulate numbers