View Single Post
Old 10-30-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywroe View Post
Evening,

I've got an antlered moose tag that I haven't been able to fill during archery season.
What are your tips for late season antlered moose?

Sent from my SM-S906W using Tapatalk
Ok, first off moose do not normaly confine themselves to a small area their whole life. They require a massive amount of feed, so living in a small area would have been an impossibility throughout most of their evolution. A moose might remain in an area as long as it suplys his needs, especially post rut/ freez up, but once its eaten off... or for any other reason, that moose will be long gone. I once watched a pair of bull moose cover most of the distance between the Jasper Park Boundary and Rock lake in about a hour... at no point did they even look like they were in a hurry, and they sporadically stopped to graze.

Second of all, moose are not hard to track. I would rate tracking moose as quite a bit easyer than stillhunting whitetail, and WAY easyer than tracking WT. Anyone with even a small amount of stalking skill and bush savy can likely pull it off... My success rate for tracking moose is higher than my success rate for calling them. If I've got good conditions and I can get onto a fresh bull track before noon, theres about a 70-80% chance I'll get a shot opportunity before dark.

Here is an article I wrote for a friend on the subject, hopefully it helps you out and if you still have any questions after reading it, I'll do my best to answere them.

https://www.all-about-moose.com/late-season-moose.html