View Single Post
Old 10-28-2023, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
It's a pick your poison situation.

Keep Kadri or lose multiple draft picks?
Keep Huberdeau or lose multiple draft picks?

Toronto had Matthews, Marner etc when they dealt Marleau so losing a first rounder wasn't that big of a deal.

Calgary has no real top end players to speak of. Losing the first rounders would affect the team for more than a decade.

I'd resist the urge to deal Kadri and Huberdeau. Hopefully, some of the recent picks turn into good players on low cost, entry level/rfa contracts. Maybe the Flames get lucky and Kadri and Huberdeau develop an allergy to hockey equipment or something like that.
Maybe they turn their play around.

Maybe I stick an arrow in a 180 class buck.
At 7 million per season I don't think Calgary will have much of a problem getting rid of Kadri. Probably won't happen until the deadline but he will go to a team that over performed this year and has some extra cap space for this year and several years to come. Kadri is a proven playoff performer.

Huberdeau is a different animal. Completely over paid based on 1 excellent year, like Nurse over paid. This one is going to hurt for a long time. Only way I see Calgary moving Huberdeau is if you give Hanifin away for free. Basically Huberdeau and Hanifin for further considerations and maybe somebody bites.