Thread: States Elk Hunt
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside View Post
I was thinking of a rifle hunt. Would love to experience the rut and some calling action. Like the idea of foothills/mountain terrain. I have experience hunting just not much hunting elk. I don’t need anything fancy for lodging. Used to staying in a tent. Comfortable on a horse and can do some hiking. I could do a week long hunt. I think any bull in the 350 range would be exceptional. I’m not wealthy but don’t mind spending some money on a once in a lifetime experience. I turn 50 in 2026. Thanks for all the responses so far.
That’s going to limit your options considerably, you need to work with one of the companies esox mantioned sooner than later to get this lined up.

BC might be an option as well, they have some rifle rut hunts and outfitters who get it done consistently in pretty remote locations.

The winterkill is a big factor. Takes a lot of years to grow 350, by ‘26 there should be a few older bulls around, if it doesn’t happen again, but that’s still going to be an incredibly small percentage of the elk population. Another factor that leans in BC’s favor. But then you risk a more-equal issue, as they are trying to take over wildlife management.