View Single Post
Old 10-24-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
In modern times the 7mm rem mag doesnt really give a huge advantage over a modern 30-06. Stepping up a notch is driving heavy for caliber bullets fast and the 7RM is not great at driving heavy for caliber bullets fast. In real scenarios you wont find much difference between a 7rm and a 30-06. It is a fine caliber and very capable just not enough of a step over the 30-06 to make a difference. If you cant kill a critter at 500 yds with a 30-06 shooting a modern bullet at modern velocities you likely wont do any better with a 7rm. Just my thoughts
Its not unheard of to push 165-168 gr pills at 2900-3100fps in a modern 06. Which is similar speeds to a 7rm with 160s. So yes there is a BC difference but not nearly so big of a deal at 4-500yds as its made out to be.
I personally wont claim to know the truth of what Obsessed posted, but I agree with his point. If your shooting much past 350 yards most people are going to be using a rangefinder regardless of calliber. If your using a rangefinder, and quite likely turrets as well, I cant see there being much of a difference in effectiveness at the yardages you are talking about.

The truth is, a 7mm in any chambering wont change you into a long range shooter. Only range time can do that. If you start hitting the range regularly with a rangefinder, turrets, and high BC bullets, and cant get comfortable making 450 yard shots with your current rig... I dont think a 7mm is going to fix your problem. You'd probably just be better off hunting different types of terrain.