View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I can no longer stand the stink of a couple of items in my fly tying supplies. It makes me sick to my stomach and the dog salivate.

The offending items are one of my grizzly hackles and a piece of fur I can't identify.

Is there any way to salvage the materials, without cutting everything off the hide? Obviously, it is the hide that is the source of the putrid smell. I have used the hackle in a few flies, and there is no obnoxious odor in the feathers. The dog doesn't bother with the feathers once they're removed from the hide, either.

I don't want to throw these things out. I don't want to smell them anymore either.
Ive never noticed any smell coming from my fly tying stuff, but my dog sure can. I was tying a while back and the phone rang. I had to go searching for it. When i got back two minutes later; two 40$ grizzley hackles were de skinned. Just a bunch of feathers left. and there was Hueston, sitting there with a few hackles sticking to his long cold black wet nose! I put the remaining feathers into a bag. Now those feathers are a hassle to use. I like them better attached to the skin.
Hueston also did the same thing to a roast once. Turned my back for only a few seconds and the whole roast was gone. licked the plate clean, as if it was never there. At first i thought i was robbed, but then hueston farted! Busted!!

Happy holidays

Fishstix!!