Thread: WMU 212 Elk
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Start getting permission, the elk go all over that zone. As others have said the hard part is permission, once you get that the elk will eventually show up.
Exactly - pick a place the looks promising and start asking.

Once you start getting to know a landowner or two, you start to get to know the community more and more, which leads to more potential permissions. Sometimes they'll even give you tips as to where they are, where they go, etc.

Building that rapport will go a long ways. Takes time, though. Asking during harvest season isn't typically as fruitful because they are typically very busy.

Also, in areas where bale depredation is an issue, there is a compensation program for lost feed. More information is here: https://www.alberta.ca/ungulate-dama...n-compensation

One of the recommendations for reducing loss is to allow access for hunting. If I recall correctly, it used to be that this was a requirement for eligibility to make claims under the program; I don't think that's the case anymore, though.

The reason I mention this is that you can contact the local Fish and Wildlife office. They may have a list of landowners in the program who are more welcoming for hunters. That would be a good starting point, at least.