View Single Post
Old 09-21-2023, 09:37 AM

I'm glad to see that the Flames are not relying on 30+ y.o. vets to fill out the fourth line. However, I would have liked to see them keep Lewis around. He still skates well, is a first rate penalty killer, has a strong veteran presence and makes close to league minimum. The other two 4th line spots could have gone to young guys.

Hanifin, Backlund and Lindholm, being on expiring contracts could turn into distractions. I think the players will keep quiet, but the media and fans will be focused on the contract situation.

IMO, due to his age, Backlund has little trade value but he would be an easy trade at the deadline. I'd be sorry to see him go.
I'm surprised that Hanifin wasn't traded over the summer. I'm guessing that the stagnant salary cap is keeping teams from committing to big contracts or trading for players who would be expecting a big raise. A one or two year contract might be something the team and Hanifin consider. If a deal can't be reached, I'd trade him at the deadline.
Lindholm is the one that I'd most want to keep. He seems to be wanting a big raise, but again, the salary cap might not allow it. He might go for a short term contract as well until the salary cap increases. I'd be trading him at the deadline if a deal isn't reached.

I really like Gilbert as a 6/7 defenseman. He's not flashy, but he doesn't make a lot of mistakes. He needs to limit his fighting to his own weight class. I expect that some of the d-men from the farm will be hoping for an opening due to the Hanifin situation. That should create some good competition.

What to do with Vladar/Wolf?