View Single Post
Old 08-03-2023, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koleswrath View Post
For my intended light use this would be the equivalent of driving an armored Humvee to work. It would be sweet to not worry about the boat EVER being damaged by ANYTHING though.
Ever heard of the titanic? They can all be damaged by a lot of things but with the right captain you’ll be just fine. Even a glass boat can handle being pulled up on shore and if it’s sporting a keel guard you won’t even notice.

As for beaching. Back in the mid 90’s we pulled the boat up on shore at Shaws point on slave lake. The wind picked up a little that night and by morning half the boat was full of water. Tackle boxes were floating, bilge had quit at some point. That was the last time on a large lake. Still did it on the little ponds but not on anything serious.

If you’re going to leave it exposed it needs to be anchored with the bow into the swell. There’s a way of doing that where you don’t have to walk into the water to retrieve it but for most situations on a lake just pull it out. It takes five minutes and if it takes more then five minutes keep doing it and soon it’ll take five minutes. Most places in Alberta you’ve got to worry about theft if it’s out of sight or while you sleep.

If your anchor is ever dragging look into a rocna or sarca. Preferably the rocna. These are designs of anchors I didn’t know of when I lived there but they’re in another league when it comes to ease of setting and holding power on every bottom. The days of a danforth are long gone.

If the boats swinging around on its rode at night I would assume you neglected to set the rear rode off the stern back to shore on the loop system. Have a little look on YouTube and you’ll see how to fix most of that problem.

Extra fuel burn on a heavier boat? Yea it’s probably a thing I’m sure but I’ve got no way to calculate it. I would imagine for the distances traveled inland you wouldn’t notice enough to matter. I suspect there’s more fuel burn variance in size, brand and model of outboard then an extra couple hundred kg’s in the same boat but I don’t have any real life experience there so idk. I still wouldn’t consider that boat inland.