View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 06:50 PM

Default New to me boat journey - best time of year for used boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Stabi is definitely not built to do the same thing as a inland lake boat - there will be NO argument there. I have never done side by side testing or controlled experimenting on these if that's what you are implying, however, I have owned dozens of boats, spent lots of time both inland and offshore in many boats (owned both types) and can certainly use "Google" too. 35 years of experience, both inland and offshore, in many types of boats and good reading comprehension, common sense, research and some technical experience in engineering as well helps me too. So if that disqualifies me to have an honest opinion, please enlighten us all on how your opinion should foster higher value as we discuss INLAND fishing - not ocean/offshore boats.

People on an Alberta Forum are NOT fishing in the Ocean in 16 foot swells, launching their stabi's off the beach or hammering the waves to power through a surf/break to get launched and deep enough to avoid a collision on the rocks if they don't skip thier way out. They are not skidding onto a beach at 20mph to recover their tinnies with a tractor, nor are they in the need of super heavy, thick hull, or enclosed cab. This construction is simply not required for how we use our boats here.

We are in Alberta. We are fishing inland lakes.

And, yes, google is your friend, I am not crapping on Stabi's ..... I came very close to buying one. I went to look at them in Washington at a dealer. But I can also read, trust, and research people's qualified opinions (which are NO DIFFERENT than what you are offering). They are a quality boat, but they are NOT a dry ride. They are not a real "smooth cruiser".

And you are right .... If I'm dropping $100K+ and have my choice for a Walleye/Pike/Laketrout and family tubing and skiing boat for inland lakes - you are right comparing the brands I mentioned versus a Stabi is no comparison - the brands I mentioned are FAR MORE suitable for that type of fishing HERE. The Stabi isn't even in the same league.

Cheers

Too much non linear noise there to address it all. Seems you’re still triggered by previous discussions and tried to weave them into your reply.

I know you’re in Alberta. I was born in Rocky Mountain house and spent 36 years in Alberta. I’ve fished it, owned those boats and understand EXACTLY the context of this discussion, water conditions and needs of the average inland fishing boat.

My point is that, no a stabi isn’t wet or rough riding compared to a lund or other comparable, “inland” built boat. They’re not built for the same conditions or measured with the same yardstick so you’re comparing an Abrams tank to an argo. They’re not the same. You can’t be talking about a lund or crestliner and then say a stabi rides poorly compared to them.

I’ve fished in a stabicraft in pretty average (local) sea conditions. It was a charter and it was neither wet nor hard riding. The captain did have tabs and a few thousand hours behind the helm so those count for something. It was within a few months of me selling my Lund and moving here. The ride was incomparable and the conditions were exponentially worse.

Now, compared to “some” boats with more flare, engineered with the right beam, waterline length, deadrise etc. to run quicker into a quartering head sea or with a full cab it “may” be wetter riding. The only way one would call that stabi wet though would be a quartering sea large enough you couldn’t get ahead of the spray before it was blown back over the boat. That wasn’t a problem we had the day I fished with Smithy.

I drew the comparison to hull construction between the stabi and makaira because they’re both kiwi boats built for the same conditions and sold to the same buyers. That’s the playing field it’s competing on which is not the same as an inland built boat.

Not because you asked but do I think I would want a stabicraft in Alberta? Nope, not a chance. Not the right place for that boat and I’m amazed they’re trying to crack that market. I started my Alberta boat ownership with a 12’ springbok sporting a 1973 evinrude 9.9, had a few in the middle and ended with a 18’ lund. If I moved back I would buy another Lund, crestliner, princecraft that had the features I wanted and wouldn’t think anymore about it.

The top tier, North American built lake boats are all similar enough one should be talking features, warranty, trailers, electronics, power, props, dealer service and price.

You know, as an aside. The type of boat that may get some traction in your market is the average 12-14’ tinny they sell here. Compared to the 12’ I had they’re a little less agricultural

Last edited by Coiloil37; 08-02-2023 at 06:58 PM.