View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
You have a lot of experience with the stabi or just a quick google? Ever even stood in one on the water?

The stabi IMO is THE ugliest tub on the water but they’re a bloody weapon built for and measured against rough seas and other ocean capable boats.
Compared to a lund or princecraft they’re in another league. Similar to comparing a 3500 HD diesel to a Honda ridge line. Those boats you guys use are using are built for lakes where 2’ of chop is a rough day. The boats built down here are built for seas like you’ll never see inland and likely never see up north period. I spent 15 straight years fishing the pacific north west and multiple trips to the gulf and never once saw seas like what we deal with down here and further south it gets worse.

There are eight semi structures within a makaira hull all composing and buttressing the superstructure.

Your not getting that for the price point you guys are talking though.

I used to build harbercraft boats in sylvan lake and they’re a well built boat by the yardstick you should be using but haven’t got a lot of smaller options for a lake capable fishing boat.

Nothing wrong with a Lund, princecraft, crestliner, etc. but they’re far from premium if you look at the big picture.

They are however more then capable on the lakes they’re designed for if used appropriately. Your even proof a Lund can sneak out on the big pond when it’s playing nicely.
Stabi is definitely not built to do the same thing as a inland lake boat - there will be NO argument there. I have never done side by side testing or controlled experimenting on these if that's what you are implying, however, I have owned dozens of boats, spent lots of time both inland and offshore in many boats (owned both types) and can certainly use "Google" too. 35 years of experience, both inland and offshore, in many types of boats and good reading comprehension, common sense, research and some technical experience in engineering as well helps me too. So if that disqualifies me to have an honest opinion, please enlighten us all on how your opinion should foster higher value as we discuss INLAND fishing - not ocean/offshore boats.

People on an Alberta Forum are NOT fishing in the Ocean in 16 foot swells, launching their stabi's off the beach or hammering the waves to power through a surf/break to get launched and deep enough to avoid a collision on the rocks if they don't skip thier way out. They are not skidding onto a beach at 20mph to recover their tinnies with a tractor, nor are they in the need of super heavy, thick hull, or enclosed cab. This construction is simply not required for how we use our boats here.

We are in Alberta. We are fishing inland lakes.

And, yes, google is your friend, I am not crapping on Stabi's ..... I came very close to buying one. I went to look at them in Washington at a dealer. But I can also read, trust, and research people's qualified opinions (which are NO DIFFERENT than what you are offering). They are a quality boat, but they are NOT a dry ride. They are not a real "smooth cruiser".

And you are right .... If I'm dropping $100K+ and have my choice for a Walleye/Pike/Laketrout and family tubing and skiing boat for inland lakes - you are right comparing the brands I mentioned versus a Stabi is no comparison - the brands I mentioned are FAR MORE suitable for that type of fishing HERE. The Stabi isn't even in the same league.

Cheers

Last edited by EZM; 08-02-2023 at 05:27 PM.