View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
They look cool and all reviews seem to say they are rock solid, well built boats. Stabicrafts are also known to be rough and wet rides. So there is a trade off.

Again, simply because I was doing some serious research last year on these and not necessarily from personal and comparative experience. Some pretty cool boats.

Kingfishers (formerly Harbercraft for many smaller river models) are solid boats, solid reputation in the "river" type hulls but nothing special for big water (larger deeper vees) are less impressive but good boats.

These I have first hand experience with and comparison against other larger big water boats. They are good, and the price is fair for these. Some cheaper options (HEWES) that are comparable to Kingfisher IMO (Mid sized vessels in particular).

There are, of course more premium options but the prices get ridiculous in a hurry (Woolridge, Older Thunder Jets, Kustom Welds).

If you are not fishing big waves and surf (on lakes and inshore) a Stabi is a great choice IMO. Then again, for the average joe any other of the above mentioned are good boats.

You have a lot of experience with the stabi or just a quick google? Ever even stood in one on the water?

The stabi IMO is THE ugliest tub on the water but they’re a bloody weapon built for and measured against rough seas and other ocean capable boats.
Compared to a lund or princecraft they’re in another league. Similar to comparing a 3500 HD diesel to a Honda ridge line. Those boats you guys use are using are built for lakes where 2’ of chop is a rough day. The boats built down here are built for seas like you’ll never see inland and likely never see up north period. I spent 15 straight years fishing the pacific north west and multiple trips to the gulf and never once saw seas like what we deal with down here and further south it gets worse.

Look at Sam’s pic of the princecraft construction and then consider a makaira which is stabicrafts competition.

There are eight semi structures within a makaira hull all composing and buttressing the superstructure.

Your not getting that for the price point you guys are talking though.

I used to build harbercraft boats in sylvan lake and they’re a well built boat by the yardstick you should be using but haven’t got a lot of smaller options for a lake capable fishing boat.

Nothing wrong with a Lund, princecraft, crestliner, etc. but they’re far from premium if you look at the big picture.

They are however more then capable on the lakes they’re designed for if used appropriately. Your even proof a Lund can sneak out on the big pond when it’s playing nicely.