View Single Post
Old 06-29-2023, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
My brother in law caught quite a large whitefish this winter. I have a couple nice skin on fillets in the freezer. Wondering how best to prepare. Was thinking of smoking, but never done one up. Would appreciate preferred methods. Thanks in advance.
Have the perfect whitefish smoking recipe. Sounds like a big white so go with 3 cups of brown suger, 3 cups of soy sauce (kikoman seems best) and 3 cups of water. Stir it up nice until sugar is dissolved. Can shave off to 2 cups of water if you want it a bit sweeter. Easy recipe.

Soak in this brine overnight in fridge with skin side up. Can also score a bigger white a bit to get the brine to soak further. I use apple wood chips. Don't worry about patting off the brine. You will get good and messy adding it to the smoker so have some paper towels handy. Skin side down in smoker racks.

Cold smoke for 3 - 4 times (or pucks if you have a Bradley smoker). Finish off at 250 F for an hour after cold smoke.

I've been told by everyone who tries it that it is their favorite. Eating it fresh of the smoker ...hard to stop. If you put it in the fridge overnight just know that the smoke flavor permeates right through. Good or bad depending on how much smoke you like.