View Single Post
Old 06-05-2023, 03:30 PM

Default From Bad to Worse

I saw this thread a long time ago and thought I posted, but didn't.
Story starts back in the early 80s. I was 13, and our family would 4x4 into Jackson Lake (now part of Lakeland PP). It was a week long holiday, and my best friend at the time joined us. A couple days in, i cut my leg, really bad. Hastily packed up camp and headed back to LacLaBiche to get stitched up.
In his hast, dad didn't take the time he usually did going through holes, and ended up to the headlights in a bog we usually had no issue with. But a couple days of rain, and bogs your uncle. No matter what we did with the winch, the big ford would not budge. We settled in for the night in the truck, my parents in the cab, and the 4 of us spread out under the canopy on the gear.
Next morning, some creative rigging finally got us out. Running through a bypass, a stump caught a tie rod. Dad had to walk out to the entrance, managed to catch a ride with some intoxicated fellows who agreed he should drive into town. A stop at the shop for some parts and tools, and call to a friend with a float plane put him on McGuffin Lake less that a mile from where we were. A couple hours later we were finally in the hospital. The admitting nurse gave my parents the best look when she asked how long ago the incident happened and my mom said yesterday!