View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohlan_4 View Post
https://www.vevor.ca/diesel-heater-c...hoCol0QAvD_BwE

Guy I work with swears by this diesel heater and its so cheap you could buy two of them.
I just bought the exact same one (8kw) and just finished putting it through it's paces.
Tank volume is just under 5 litres (calculated).
When I read that the fuel consumption was under 1/2 litre/hr I was a little skeptical of the output. 8kw is roughly 27,000 BTU's.
Sure enough, this heater uses 1/3 litre/hr (averaged over 9hours), which at 37,500 BTU/ Litre, equals 12,500 BTU of Input.

The heater is far from 100% efficient given that the exhaust is coming out over 220°F.
So if I had to take a random stab at a figure, I would say output is roughly 9-10,000 BTU's.

Power consumption was nearly 12 amps in startup mode with the glow plug on. This lasted for a few minutes.
Once the glow plug shut off the draw was reduced to around 5 amps on highest setting.
On lowest setting the draw dropped to around 2 amps.

My Interstate SRM-31 battery has an amp hour rating of 210, which means I should get roughly 40 hrs of run time on high on a fully charged battery, and about 16 hours on a tank of fuel.

To compare, a Big Buddy inputs roughly 18,000 BTU's and because it exhausts inside, you get basically 100% of those BTU's.

I plan to use a piece of steam hose to extend the exhaust out of the ice tent (Otter), and because rubber is a horrible conductor, it shouldn't melt my tent flap.

Overall, this little heater is awesome. As long as you know its limits.

Hopefully this info helps others.