View Single Post
Old 11-16-2022, 08:00 AM

Wiring & Switches

I decided to run pretty much the same electrical I have in my Yukon, which means I needed three switches. Switch panels of all sorts are available on Amazon, and I decided on a three switch panel with 4.8A USB chargers so I can watch YouTube fishing videos on my iPhone all day if I'm tip up fishing or camping in the shelter (which I plan to try). It also has a digital meter so I can monitor the charge on the battery.

The three items I needed a switch to control are my Vexilar Glo-Ring, my Clam tub lights, and my Otter Shelter lights (more on each later). After running the wires to the panel for the lights, wiring was pretty straightforward. The switch panel comes pre-wired so that you just need to connect the positive for your accessories and then connect it to your power source. You will need a busbar for the negative leads. I bought this one, but it's really much more than you need...four posts is all I needed. I mounted the busbar underneath so it was out of the way. I also made a little plate for the Glo-Ring to mount to the side of this panel and then zip-tied it down so it wouldn't swing around. I had to crazy glue the mount after it broke in the Yukon, so I wanted to make sure it was more secure this time around.

Once all the wiring was done on the panel I took it to the sled and connect the wiring for the lights, trimming those wires so that I didn't have a bunch of excess to deal with. The Starboard panel just sits on the tub under the bracket for the poles. I put one more bolt along the other edge of the tub to keep it solid.

I did take the protective plastic off the Starboard before using the jigsaw to cut the hole for the switches in the panel, which scuffed the panel up a bit. Whatever, this is turning out way too good anyways...