View Single Post
Old 09-29-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
My son is 19. Graduated during Covid. Really good kid. Biggest trouble he’s given us is a messy room. Smart enough to go to university, but I never encouraged it. I may be different, but as a teacher, I have always felt that the trades have so much more to offer than trying to figure out what you wanna do while at university. I did not want him to follow in my footsteps. University, at least in my opinion, is a black hole unless you have something very specific in mind. Anyhow, this summer I pointedly challenged him to get serious and choose a job that can lead somewhere. He took it to heart, started investigating the trades, and a week ago he told me he wants to get on as a welding apprentice.

A hunting buddy got him an interview, and today he got on with Edmonton Exchanger, and after his probation will choose between welding, pipe fitting or boilermaker and head to NAIT.

Such a good feeling when your kids make good decisions and start finding their way in life.

Today, I am happy and thankful. Just really, really thankful.
Congratulations, you must be very proud! NAIT has some great programs, and for a lot of kids going into a straight forward program with a clear goal at the end makes an awful lot of sense.