View Single Post
Old 09-23-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
Icaridin seems to work for deer ticks (black legged ticks) out here (be glad you don't have the little buggers in Alberta) everyone who does anything outdoors, Ontario and east is in danger of contracting Lyme.
I spray my legs with it before I put on my pants and then spray some on my clothes. Not sure about moose ticks but deer ticks seem to like to get on low and climb.
I tried icaridin last year. I believe that is what my first post in this thread is about. That spray pictured in the first post is icaridin based (20%, I believe) and it didn’t do anything at all. See the pictures of my pants hours later - the ticks were all over, hundreds or thousands of them. Deet shows the same effect, which appears to be nill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
The down side of Permethrin is that it kills fish at extremely low concentrations - ie if you wash your clothes and the wash water goes into a river, even after treatment.
I read a good part of that study the abstract of which I quoted above. It appears the amount of permethrin that would come from washed clothing items will be extremely negligible on any life, including fish and other aquatic. The stuff I sprayed above has pyrethrins, which is essentially the same thing, but naturally occurring and what synthetic permethrin was based on. Pyrethrin has similar effect but has a much shorter life and better dealt with by aquatic and other life. Funny enough though, it is more prone to cause allergic reactions in humans. Go figure.

So far I know for a fact that icaridin doesn’t work on these things and pyrethrin does. I also noticed (just now realized) that mosquitoes didn’t annoy me one bit, while usually there a few. But I can’t say they bother me much.

I ordered a couple of bottles of Sawyer permethrin spray from the US. We will see what happens and if it gets over the border.