View Single Post
Old 09-22-2022, 03:09 PM

Good info, guys, and thanks for sharing. Would rather have little to no smell though.

Weird that a guy cant’s just go to a store and buy a bottle of Sawyer like can be done in the US. Everything I read says it is bad for insects (as well as marine life and cats), but fine for human. Can be used for agricultural purposes in Canada, yet a guy cannot spray his clothes and shoes with it. Seems weird. Also banned in EU, it appears. Though they have (or had) some bug repellent spray called Nobite Textile (if I recall correctly) with permethrin concentration of 2%!

The abstract from the UN/WHO study states the follwoing:

Evaluates the design and findings of over 250 studies concerned with the effects on human health and the environment posed by permethrin, a photostable synthetic pyrethroid insecticide marketed since 1977. Because of its strong repellent properties and effectiveness as a stomach and contact insecticide, permethrin is widely used in the protection of several agricultural crops, in the control of insects in households and on cattle, in aerial application for forest pest control, as a fog in mushroom houses, and as a wood preservative. Public health applications include the disinsection of aircraft, treatment of mosquito nets, and human lice control. In view of the uses of permethrin and its photostable properties, a section devoted to sources of human exposure concentrates on the large number of studies investigating residues in fruits, vegetables, dairy milk, and grains. Findings from laboratory studies, indicating that permethrin is highly toxic to certain beneficial insects and natural enemies of pests, are contrasted with field investigations demonstrating the transitory nature of most toxic and repellent effects on non-target species. The most extensive section reviews the findings of experimental studies conducted to assess toxicity. Paricular attention is given to differences in study design, dose, and mode of administration that can affect the validity of findings when extrapolated to humans. The final section draws upon a limited number of occupational and clinical studies to evaluate direct evidence of adverse effects on health. On the basis of this review, the book concludes that most toxic effects are transitory, that the likelihood of carcinogenic effects in humans is extremely low or non-existent, and that permethrin, when used as recommended, is not likely to present a hazard to the general public, exposed workers, or the environment.

Can pour on a horse or cattle that browse the fields 24/7 months on, but have to go through all this hassle and spray stuff not meant for humans in order to hike the bush for a few days. Makes sense.

Edit: I should add that deet, that melts plastic and is half useless against bugs and 100% useless against ticks (in my experience) is perfectly legal.

Last edited by fishnguy; 09-22-2022 at 03:20 PM.