View Single Post
Old 07-03-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_charlie View Post
Hi All,

I have a Sako AV .300 win mag I was gifted from
my grandfather. I took my first deer with it years ago but have not shot it much since after the scope needed to be repaired. Got a range membership and shot it a few times since to get it sighted in again and realized just how much it kicked.

Not exactly a big guy and it really packs a punch. Was reluctant to make any changes to it but decided to put on a proper recoil pad since all that was on there was the factory “plastic” end. Definitely helped take out the sting to shoot a little longer but still not exactly pleasant.

Thinking of putting on a muzzle break. On one hand I know I’d shoot it more and better - pretty sure in flinching but on the other hand I feel like I’m changing the gun a lot more by doing that and in some way ruining the classic/sentimentality of it.

I know it will be louder, more annoying for others at the range etc. so not looking for opinions on that. Really more curious on if this a major no no to consider for an older, more classic gun and I should just leave as is.

The alternative is to get another gun in a smaller caliber which I could use anyways and will at some point. But also hate to just have this gun sit in the safe. I want to put it to use.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s your gun you can do whatever you want to it no matter what anyone else thinks. If putting a brake on let’s you enjoy shooting it then put one on. Life’s too short to worry what others think.