View Single Post
Old 04-18-2022, 01:18 PM

Default Ruger 1022 and Winchester ammo

Hi there. My son has a bull bbl 1022 that wont fire Winchester ammo. He has replaced the firing pin and spring etc with no luck. I was at his place yesterday and took a look at the gun. I removed the bbl and tried to insert a round into the bbl chamber. The Winchester bullets will only go in about half way and becomes tight. All other brands we tried drops in all the way without any effort.
Sure enough it shoots all other brands without a hitch. I now see why the miss fires, as the bolt is trying to push the bullet all the way forward.
I tried the same bullet in my 1022 and it slides all the way in with no effort.
It appears the chamber is tapered and too tight. Just wondering if it can be reamed out to the proper size? Looking with a bore light it appears to have a ring about half the way around the chamber. I cleaned it out with a copper brush, but the ring is metal not carbon. I used a felt marker to paint up the bullet and after inserting , and removing it leaves a mark on the top side of the bullet. Winchester bullets must be slightly larger, as they are the only ones that stick. We tried many different Winchester ammo from the case of 500 with the same results. Would a gun smith have a reamer like this to remove the ring in the chamber? Thanks Phil.