View Single Post
Old 03-27-2022, 09:57 AM

Default Lyman Ideal press review

So I wanted a second press to my Rock Chucker, mostly for a dedicated bullet puller press so that if I seated a bullet too deeply, I wouldn't need to remove the seater die, install the bullet puller, pull the bullet, remove the bullet puller, you get the idea...
Picked up a Lyman Ideal press on Friday. It looked like a decent little press and not a bad price.
Tried to pull a 30-06 bullet. Forget it. The press's short stroke, short lever arms and short, thin handle just won't generate enough power to pull a 30 cal. bullet.
This press is probably inadequate to even resize 30-06 cases, though I expected that.
It's probably an ok press for handgun ammo opertations, de-capping, priming, and bullet seating for most rifle cartridges but it's a no-go for bullet pulling for larger calibers. BTW, I pulled some 223 bullets and that worked just fine.
I read many reviews before I bought it, but saw none that mentioned bullet pulling. I really didn't realize how much force it takes to pull a bullet until now as it's practically effortless with a Rock Chucker.