Thread: Fishing cameras
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2022, 02:12 PM

Cameras are a valuable tool in the box. Like most tools, it has jobs where it excels and others where it isn't useful.

I've been at Sante quite a bit recently and the difference in catch rates between the guys with and without cameras can be pretty big. Not always, but when the burbs are in the mood to rub your jig for 30 seconds before biting, seeing what triggers the hit and what turns them away can be the difference in your day.

Whitefish are camera shy most of the time, and I have friends who don't want to be near me and my cam if they are after whiteys (during the burbot spawn is the only time whites tend to ignore cameras in my experience).

Even if you don't use it to catch fish, using it to ID what is on your graph(as you mention) or to check out the bottom composition and then pulling it up can be handy.

I don't use it every time I go out, but if I didn't own one it would be high on my to-buy list.

I don't personally see the reason to pay the premium for the highest definition camera, as even the most basic unit will cover most of what you need. IMO, how well the cam operates in low light is far more important than how many megapixels or any other numbers, especially early season when it's dark by 4:30. That extra half hour or more at the beginning and end of the day can be significant.