View Single Post
Old 12-16-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Just my humble opinion and I am not a expert by any means but through a full choke I would only shoot lead shot, and I would not shoot steel through anything tighter than a M choke, my Beretta Optima HP chokes that are IM and F are stamped NO STEEL the C,IC,LM and M chokes are stamped OK STEEL same with Benelli chokes.

I know there are chokes out there that are designated F and are OK for steel but if you put a caliper on them you will see that they are no where near as tight as the old F chokes and very close in fact to a M choke constriction.

Rule of thumb is that a choke designated as M for lead will be F for steel, as I said before we shoot over decoys and I use an IC choke with steel shot, I used and M a couple times but it really chews up the birds if they are inside 30 yards

I know there is other shot out there tungsten, bismuth etc but I am not familiar with them or their properties so can't comment if they are OK to shoot in an old style F choke, I have never shot them primarily because they are $70 a box and I refuse to pay that for waterfowl ammo.
Bismuth is fine in a full choke, I use it for sharptail at Camp Waimwright, and it behaves very similar to lead. It is expensive, but a box lasts me multiple years at Camp Wainwright.