View Single Post
Old 11-23-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Did you say that with a straight face?

Guess it depends how you measure "best player". Is it pure offensive skill, fastest skater, most points, ability to put the team on his back and all pull together, regular season or playoff success, how do you compare a forward to a goalie?

Pittsburgh finished the season dead last in 2005, drafted Crosby that summer, and Pittsburgh won the Cup in 2008. He has more playoff points in one season than McDavid does his entire 7 year career, and it's not even close. He completely transformed that franchise.

Skill wise, McDavid may be the greatest ever but Kovalev had alot of skill too. Total package, I'm not sure he eclipses Crosby let alone Gretzky, Lemieux, Roy, Orr....

Guess I don't even hockey......which is true, quit playing a few years ago, the going to bed at 1:00 AM on a weekday got to me after a few years.
Wow, you do not hockey.

No NHL season in 04-05. Lottery was held to determine draft order in 2005. Pittsburgh got the 1st overall pick. Drafted Crosby. Lost in Stanley Cup final in 08 to Detroit. Won it all in 09.

Ovechkin was 1st overall in 2004. With no season that year, Ovechkin and Crosby were both rookies in the 05-06 season. Ovechkin won the Calder.

As for greatest player ever, Orr gets my vote.

Last edited by JohninAB; 11-23-2021 at 10:40 PM.