View Single Post
Old 09-29-2021, 08:53 AM

This thread got me looking at all the Euro glass that has been mentioned, and the one thing that confounds me is the magnification ranges all seem to hav ballooned a lot. I like a simple 3x9 or 10 maybe, in 40 or 42mm objective, and 30mm tube. This is exactly what my Kahles Helia is, 3-9x 42mm. Simple duplex reticle, great glass.

All the stuff I'm seeing is typicall 2.5 or 3 -12,14,15,18x....like really much higher magnification then in the past. My Leica ER is 3.5-14x if I'm not mistaken, with a fine duplex, and it already has way more magnification that I'd normally need.

A guy really has to look at Leupold to even get back into the 3-9 or 10x range. What gives?? Is everybody shooting longe range?
Or do the lower magnification scopes exist and I'm just not seeing them?

For the hunting I typically have done, nothing is more then 300 yards. 9x is oodles of magnification for that, and I'm not shooting further, so I really don't want all that extra glass, so to speak.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone