Thread: Elk tactics
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2021, 06:06 PM

Reflection on last seasons challenges/ mistakes.
In my area the elk started really really late. All bow season it was extremely warm. Bulls were silent which is not typical. First bugle I actually heard was after rifle opened up. As soon as the bulls got vocal we ( the guys I hunted with) managed to call three different bulls in three consecutive evenings. We managed to harvest and all was great. However i live right here in the middle of all the fun so waiting for the perfect time was easy. For me personally
i was having health issues that didn't really allow me to use a bow ( or rifle) for all of the early season so not having the elk in full rut during at that time was no issue.
What if I had planned a trip and timing just didn't work out..how do you roll with the punches and turn bad timing into success?
How about going into this season? This area is severely dry how will that impact your plans?
How do you find elk when they arnt making noise?
How do you figure out where the elk want to be during those " stressful" dry times?
How do you successfully hunt them when nothing goes as planned?
Start planning backup strategies and what to do's now.
Make sure you have a plan for if things don't go well.
Invest in yourself and build skills that will get the job done, not gadgets or tools that really in truth will not make you a better elk hunter