View Single Post
Old 07-03-2021, 02:10 AM

^ For sure!

Moved on to the garage today, thinking that one will be quick to get ready. Well, after cutting about a foot off the panels (a couple of inches of rot at the edge), it was pretty clear it won’t be as quick as I hoped. Off went the gutter (siliconed or glued to fascia in a failed attempt to fix the leakage), along with the fascia, off went the soffit, etc.

Who the f builds like that? No wonder it didn’t work. It appears they simply slapped some 1x6 pieces they had left over from another job and nailed some of them onto the rotted rafters! Well, perhaps, rafters weren’t rotted at the time, but it is doubtful because they did nail those 2x4’s to every single one of them.

Anyway, took a bit of time and another run to the store to get a couple more pieces of overpriced lumber. Didn’t take a pic of the final “product”, but that roof is also ready for shingles now.

It appears I need new fascia and soffit too, lol.

Side note, they tried to raise the gutters (I guess the silicone doesn’t work as well, lol, even though they did put more) and put a few nails and screws right through the drip edge, which caused the water to get in past the fascia onto the wood behind it (same on the house, less silicone). Also, instead of overlapping the drip edge pieces, they left about an inch gap between every one of them. People gonna people, I guess. They used 6 pieces of wood where I ended up with 2, properly nailed (good luck to the next guy taking it apart).