View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Noble View Post
Any advice on equipment for beginner, suggestions on books etc. Also anyone looking to clear up some space, pm me please. Thanks everyone
To be honest, the best way to start is to buy a kit, like the Hornady L'N'L, any RCBS kit, Lyman kit etc. It should come with everything needed. If you have to piece a kit together, here are the pieces I would suggest. They include:
1. a press of your choice (Personally would go with the Frankford Press, but I use a Lyman t Mag 2 and would recommend it as well. But something that is easy to switch dies out without having to reset every time would be a benefit.)
2. a good scale, digital or balance beam, don't matter.
3. a powder thrower (Electric is nice also has the scale built in, but unnecessary. Look for one that has easy adjustability especially if reloading multiple chamberings.)
4. Case trimmer, either the Frankford drill case trimmer, or if you are on a bit of a budget, the Lyman or lee case hand trimmers work good to get started.
5. Primer handle (some presses come with this, others don't.) (RCBS makes a good one.)
6.Champher tool (Don't need to buy fancy, would recommend RCBS, lee, or any other that is hand turned.)
7. Primer pocket cleaner ( small flat head screwdriver bit works good too)
8. Case/die lube ( Funny as it sounds, yeah... Hornady makes a good spray case lube that works well. Some use lube pads, but personally, Paper plate and the spray lube is my go to)
9. Dies - one set per chambering you want to reload.

As far as books are concerned, Barnes and Nosler have data online. Hornady has some online, but not much. Sierra can be found online if you search. So the books I would recommend are:
1. The ABC's of Reloading (This is a good book to start with. Teaches lots of good technique)
2. The Latest Lyman guide (Some recommend the lee book, which is fine, but the Lyman book has data for multiple projectiles for a given chambering from many projectile makers, sierra included, including target and hunting. But, this section is based on what projectile you want to use and what you want to do with the custom ammo).

I am thinking this is complete... but if I missed something, Sry.