View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
What cartridge do you use to hunt the north west alberta forests? I've never been under gunned carrying a 308 in my neck of the woods.
In alberta we can't hunt g bears so I don't really care what G bear hunters recommend for hunting them.
Not that it's high on the probable or the concern list , but if you spend enough time in the bush in that country it's only a matter of time until you run into one or two.. In some areas it's a much higher probability than in others. Many years ago (60's) , I was a District Forest Ranger in much of the country S of Valleyview and S of Grande Prairie to the Wilmore and west to the BC border. In those days they were prevalent in areas closer to the Mountains. As you likely know they have expanded their territory extensively of late.

I can tell you this. If and when you do inadvertently bump in to one, depending on the circumstance, practically any gun you are carrying will seem woefully inadequate. If you know it is likely inadequate, well, 'nuff said.
My hunting buddy had one within 20 ft of him two years ago up in the Baytree area. It came in while he was calling Elk. Fortunately, it ended well.
The Boy Scouts said it best .. be prepared for the unlikely.