View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Any RESPECTABLE hunter takes the course that takes weeks!!
Weeks? Lol. The current course takes a few evenings at most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
Good idea for immigrants too to have to take it. They might not have the same upbringing or experience we all might have—ensure they have a chance too and are accountable.
Why would immigrants have to take a hunting course and know the difference between a whitetail and mule deer, that shotgun gauge refers to the weight of a solid ball of lead... or that you can’t have a loaded firearm in a vehicle? Absolute majority of Canadians born on Canadian soil have zero clue and didn’t have “the same upbringing”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
[I]
A first-time hunter is a hunter who 1) has not previously held a hunting licence in Alberta or elsewhere
According to that, she clearly isn’t a first-time hunter because she had previously held a license. Pretty simple. However, if she checked that box about taking the course without actually taking one, then (from the Wildlife Act):

Ineligibility for licence or permit
15 A person who is not eligible to hold a licence or permit shall
not apply for, obtain or hold a licence or permit or a document that, but for that ineligibility, would be a licence or permit.
1984 cW-9.1 s18

Nullity of licence or permit
16(1) Where a document purporting to be a licence or permit is
issued to a person who is not eligible to hold it, the document is and remains void as a licence or permit.

She was never eligible for any of the licenses she previously held and, for that reason, they were void the moment she got them. Which, in turn, implies that she had never held a license in Alberta and was hunting illegally and every single animal she harvested was harvested so illegally.

From legal perspective, in my opinion, the cop was right. If anything, she got off easy, according to law.

From my personal perspective, she might be a better, safer, and more ethical hunter than most, which solely depends on her and her mentor, if there was any.