View Single Post
Old 10-13-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
I'm no expert but I did take my first whitetail last year in an area similar to where you're hunting. In the spot I hunted, there are many whitetails, but they are very "well-educated." I've never seen them in the open during the season except for during the first or last half-hour of legal light. My advice as a quasi-noob would be to find a cutblock that's starting to grow over but is still recent enough that you can see, find where the sign is (snow will help a lot with this), find a high point with some trees from which you can see where the sign is, and sit up there and wait until the absolute very end of legal light. Also, the weather we've been having recently seems not to be good for seeing them moving during legal light. When it gets colder they seem to be much more active, especially right after a snowfall. Maybe a better hunter can chime in here and either confirm that I'm right or tell me I'm full of it haha.

He’s bang on the money here. First light and last light is everything for white tails outside of November. I have taken two bucks from 412 years ago. I don’t hunt there anymore, but my brother in law was in there a couple of weeks back and saw a decent white tail buck at last light. He was on the main road, so you don’t have to be super far off the road to find them.

15 yrs ago in 316 I hiked in the back hills all day and saw sweet f all. I was hiking back and I looked back and saw a white tail doe 400 yards down. She kept looking back. So I settled in. Doe, doe, then a buck! Harvested a nice 5x4. That’s when I learned it’s not about ground covered, but where you are.

My advice would be similar to what was said, find a good cut block or clearing and hunt it at first and last light. 412 is hunted hard so be in cover and hopefully you’ll close the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk