View Single Post
Old 10-13-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I hear this a lot. Have you ever seen a marginally rong shot that worked out because of the heavier bullet, larger cartridge, that definwitively would NOT have worked out with a lighter bullet, smaller cartridge. I never have. In my younger days when I hunted with a lot of partners and did some guiding I have seen game hit and lost with 300 WM, 338 WM, 375 H&H, 45-70 as well as 243, 30-06, 270 and a few other cartridges. Since the game wasn't recovered I have no way of saying that a bigger gun or heavier bullet would have sealed the deal. I have also examined the wounds on game we had to track quite a ways but recovered. I am not convinced a bigger gun would have shortened the tracking job.

There is a reason I hunt with the same 3 guys for the past many years. They can all shoot, they all know what makes a killing shot and they are careful in the shots they take. We have only had to track two animals more than a 100 yards in the past 20 years. Guys that can't shoot need to practice on gophers and paper, a bigger gun isn't going to make them a better shot or more likely to kill what they shoot at. Shots don't usually go marginally wrong, they are either on or a long ways off. I saw lots of guys completely miss game at 50 to 150 yards.
QUOTE=Dean2;4247229]I hear this a lot. Have you ever seen a marginally rong shot that worked out because of the heavier bullet, larger cartridge, that definwitively would NOT have worked out with a lighter bullet, smaller cartridge.

No. I can't say that I have but I have seen larger cal, heavier bullets that were badly misplaced that resulted in a DRT. Don't ask me why. Maybe thats the reason that you heard it a lot.