View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 09:16 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Well Keg, maybe I should clarify

If I have a critter patch that is relatively easy to get to and guys I know find it themselves... or other guys find it... well yea.. have at er. It’s a free country.

This situation was this:

The area is a spot where 80-90% of guys would not hike up that far it’s got some up. It’s a lot of vertical. And this guy would NEVER venture up there on his own guaranteed.

He literally shot the 6x6 about 20 yards from where we set up and bugle-mewed a week ago.

How do I know this? He texted me a pic of the downed animal and told me he got it at another spot we Both know of.

So I go out after work for a solo hint to ‘my’ spot and get greeted with ravens and a small bear on the carcass ( after a good hike in).......

I hike back out and drive to another spot for just last light......

There’s an element of lack of integrity here.
I understand your frustration.

It's just that the way I figure it, I expect that sort of thing to happen if I share a favorite spot. Human nature being what it is these days.

And I'm okay with that more because I see it as inevitable anyway, even if I didn't share, then because I think it's acceptable behavior.

I suppose I am cynical really. I just don't expect much of people these days.
But I'm not about to join the march to end hunting. I'll do what I can to encourage others to become hunters even if it means less opportunity for me.

I can do that because my hunting years are close to done. I won't be here to see the demise of what was once an honorable way to provide for one's family.

Now it's more about bragging rights and getting one up on the next guy.

Why else would someone want to carry a cannon without wheels?

George Bernard Shaw