View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
LOL !!! Long way to go if we want to count on herd immunity for protection!
A month or so ago, there was a study released for the Swedish government that indicated the “immunity” rate in Stockholm of about 7.5% in the beginning of May, if I recall correctly. Most of the other Europe, that went through lockdowns and whatnot, was at about 5% at the time, according to other studies. The main doc and strategist for Sweden’s approach, whatever his name is, said in the interview that they were disappointed because they were expecting the number to be closer to 25-30% by then. At the same time, the Swedish economy took a hit comparable to the other Nordic countries. I can find the article(s) I read to support all this if necessary, or those interested can find themselves.

Needless to say that their (Sweden’s) health care system is quite different from the US, including the capacity. They also don’t run around in protests, they take precautions, social distancing, etc. My wife’s cousin and quite a bit of her other family lives in Sweden. The life after COVID happened is far from “normal” there as well. Funny enough, they currently have almost exact same restrictions we have in place in Alberta. Those guys thinking that they just continue doing what they did back January are kidding themselves, read about it. Read about the state of their economy as well.

By continuing as we were prior and “letting her rip” is not a very smart approach, which is very evident south of our border. If people think the current state of economy is less than great, I doubt people want to see what would happen if the world just “opens up” to life style of prior-2020. I find it weird that people don’t see the consequences.

What is happening in the USA is pretty ridiculous. It is a major fail by the government and people. Someone mentioned that their daily number of deaths keeps falling, they are in for a surprise in a few days. They had over 900 yesterday, according to worldometer, which is the highest in almost a month and they are approaching the same number today. You can’t have hospitals filling up, reaching capacity, and not expecting significant increase in mortality.

The weirdest thing is that we have already been through this elsewhere in the world, in some states, some places here in Canada and some down south are going to go through the same thing all over again. There is no excuse this time. And it clearly appears from the earlier press conference today they may experience a shortage in PPE yet again. It’s like a badly scripted movie, a bizarro world.

Furthermore, those running their own businesses here, is your business set up for opening and closing numerous times over and over again? How many closures would it take before you close the doors permanently? 1? 2? I am assuming most would fit into “2” or so category. This is exactly what is happening in Texas, California, Florida, etc. And it will continue to happen until the common sense kicks in. They are destroying their economies, not saving them. It is obvious. The straight up herd immunity way is a longer and more expensive road to take. Closures, lockdowns will occur once the health care system reaches close to capacity, regardless of what anyone thinks. It is crystal clear.