View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 02:52 PM

Don't think I agree with this at all, I see the reasoning behind it regarding new shooters being at risk and the law being undefined, but, I also think if they are still allowed to sell the guns they use for club guns, they should go ahead;

Women Shooters of PEI;

Our main goal is introducing women to the shooting sports. Our favorite way to do this is with our extremely popular live fire events. We've made the painful decision to cancel our June 13 skeet shooting day.
The May 1 ban includes 12ga shotguns. Bill Blair says it doesn't. But a legal opinion says it does, and we've been told it's up to the discretion of law enforcement. We simply can't take that chance with a group of first-time women shooters. We hope this is resolved before our next scheduled shoot in July. Watch this page for updates.

They had a number of replies from people who also thought they were wrong in cancelling the event; this was their reply;

Women Shooters of PEI
Thanks Antoine. We are aware of that statement. However, only the Order-in-Council is law. This is the Canadian Firearms Programs "view" on the matter, and it differs from other "views" such as Canada Border Services Agency and some lawyers. A webpage or a "tweet" (as Bill Blair issued) doesn't change the OIC. We aren't lawyers. We are not willing to take the risk with our group or our members.

Someone suggested they use 20 ga;

Women Shooters of PEI
Yep, but half of our club guns are 12ga, so we'd need to borrow more 20ga shotguns (if we could find people willing to lend them). And we already had the ammo for this shoot, so would need to buy more 20ga shells. Given that we are already $500 in the hole for ammo we bought and now can't use for our rifle day (also due to the ban), it's just not practical for our small group to do that.