View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Been FFing for 65 years and I’m confused at the choices many take in the selection of equipment.
To put the question into perspective, hunters select the bullet type/weight for the quarry.
They know through sad experience that a 22 and elephants don’t work.

FF types seem to have a whole new selection system.

However, the line/reel,rod selection should be based on the flies and where the flies are to be used.
The weight of flies determines line weight required to cast them.
The reel is selected for its ability to contain the line plus adequate backing/drag depending on the quarry.
The rod is selected for its ability to cast the line with consideration of wind, distance required to cast and cost. he
Several things to be born in mind, cheap rods have crappy cork, soft guides and possible defects in materials.
Reels, even very cheap ones, will work just fine.
Lines last depending on how they are used. I get about 250 days out of a top line Scientific Anglers line. I don’t step on them, clean them occasionally.

Regards,

Don
Not sure if I agree with everything here, especially the high lighted sentence.
I usually select the rod out of my modest ( inventory to match the quarry. For example, lately I've been using a 9ft 7wt on a trout lake where the chances of running into some >20 inch trout are very good and I want to be able to have some control (my anchor rope is like a magnet). The size of the fly has nothing to do with the rod since I'm flipping an indicator with balanced leech and chironomid (down to size 16) combo.

I certainly won't take any 4 wt weight to that lake but I will use such on a lake were the max size is maybe 15/16 inches and with the right line I can a flip a #8 streamer to the edges.

As far as quality is concerned, as least with FF equipment you seem to get what you pay for, although eons ago, all I could afford was an el cheapo glass rod and seemed to have as much fun and success as now much fancier equipment...must be talent.