View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huk View Post
I'd go even further and just kibosh all priority. Make it 100% lottery every time, all species.

If we want to increase opportunity we could start with pressuring our government to step up wolf control efforts and re-institute the grizzly bear hunt on the eastern slopes. Let's get our population sizes back up and that'll solve a lot of the opportunity issues right there.
I have many relatives in other jurisdictions that are strictly lottery. Not very favourable. One relative has applied in their lottery draw for over 40 years and has never been drawn and he has met and come across people who have gotten drawn 2 or 3 times in his jurisdiction over that period. Lottery - NO THANK YOU. At least with a priority system, you know your time will come -- lottery your time may never come in a hundred years, and another guy may get drawn every single year of his life -- hardly fair or equitable (this may be a far stretch, but the possibility exists).

I think the priority system is working fine as is, but could use some refinement on wasted license purchasing. I would propose, if you apply and get drawn, you must purchase that license/tag to avoid the wasting of tags (however for the antis, that cost may be a drop in the bucket or the cost of doing business and will waste anyway, but at least they are back at zero and adding some $ to the coffers). If you choose not to purchase a drawn license, then you cannot apply next year (or any future year) until that purchase(s) has been made in full (of course the purchased license(s) may not be valid due to expiry) similar to the harvest survey reports being mandatory which also has a penalty incurred.

If wasted or not, that drawn priority is gone for them and they start back at zero again.

If a hunter want to continue with 999/priority only, and eventually applies his P12 in an area that is only requiring P8, then I say that's fine and he has over-waited the requirement, but that is his prerogative and for him to realize his patience in building that priority level.

I am curious though how many anti do actually apply. Perhaps with the WC and the harvest reports being mandatory it may shed some light on this, but we'll never truly know because each year has its unique circumstances for everyone (especially this crazy year ---------------------- who knows?).

Bottom line is there will always be some who will not be pleased.